From the “what the fuck should I cook for fucking dinner” files…
There were green peppers on the verge of spoiling in the fridge. We also had a mountain of meat, enough boxes of pasta to build a fortress to keep the birthers away, some yellow onions and mozzarella cheese. I started thinking of what to make for dinner and decided – fuck it. What if I put it all in a casserole and call it something? How bad can it be?
With that, I present Kang’s Faked Ziti
- 1 pound pasta (I’m partial to Rotini because it reminds me of my beautifully, springy curly hair)
- 2 jars Marinara sauce
- 1 pound ground meat or Italian sausage
- 2 green bell peppers, sliced and chunked
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- Fresh garlic
- Mozzarella cheese
- Brown meat, drain, set aside.
- Cook pasta – remove from heat one or two minutes prior to instructed cooking time, reserve approximately 1 cup of pasta water, strain.
- Sautee peppers, onions and garlic on low-ish heat in olive oil until onions are translucent.
- Grab pasta pot and dump meat, veg and 1 jar of sauce. Blend with spoon of choice.
- Add noodles and some of the reserved water, stir again.
- Eyeball and sample. If necessary, add more sauce.
- Open bag o’ shredded mozzarella, dump in pot, stir.
- Dump in baking dish.
- Dump more cheese on top.
- Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees until gooey and bubbly (25 – 30 minutes-ish)
It’s not a science. It’s not even proper baked ziti. It is, however, a great way to use up items that are nearing an expiration date, it’s damn easy to make and everyone loves stuff covered in a good marinara and cheese.
Tray full of om nom nom and win prior to baking (and prior to additional cheese-ing for the cheese inclined)